2020 summer residency at rita angus cottage
3 FEBRUARY–14 MARCH 2020
Enjoy is calling for applications from Aotearoa New Zealand artists and curators to our 2020 summer residency programme. Following this years’ residency at Rita Angus Cottage, Enjoy is pleased to confirm an extended residency and ongoing partnership with the Thorndon Trust and cottage next year, supported by Creative New Zealand.
The residency is an opportunity for a practitioner to develop a project to be realised with Enjoy while working in Pōneke Wellington.
The residency includes:
- Accommodation and a studio/workspace at the historic Rita Angus Cottage, including access to all household amenities, power and wifi
- $3000 fee covering a stipend and domestic travel to Wellington
- Logistical and research support from Enjoy Staff
- An exhibition further supported by Enjoy, scheduled for June 2020. Please include a clear indication of your proposed approach in your application
- - Opportunities to engage with the history of the Rita Angus Cottage, supported by the Thorndon Trust.
As a not-for-profit art space dedicated to supporting the development of experimental work, Enjoy will prioritise project proposals that are speculative, engaged with current social and political contexts or debates in contemporary art, and have strong potential outcomes for the resident arts practitioner and/or audiences.
How to apply:
Please submit your application as a clearly named single PDF file, and include:
- A concise project proposal (max. 800 words), covering aims for the residency and why it is relevant to the development of the specific project
- A short biography and CV for those involved
- Up to eight supporting images or samples of previous work
Applications should be sent via email to email@example.com. Proposals are due midnight, Friday 31st October. You will be notified of the outcome of your proposal by 16 November.
Please note that the residency is only open to those currently living outside of Wellington City.
ABOUT THE ENJOY SUMMER RESIDENCY PROGRAMME
Enjoy’s Summer Residency Programme has been running since 2000 when the gallery was first established and has featured artists, curators and writers. Recent summer residents have included: Sorawit Songsataya (2019), Ella Sutherland (2018), Riff Raff (Daphne Simons and Li-Ming Hu) (2017), Johanna Mechen (2016), Ema Tavola (2015), Kirsten Dryburgh and Xin Cheng (2014) and Mata Aho Collective (2013).
ABOUT THE RITA ANGUS COTTAGE AND THORNDON TRUST
Located in Thorndon, the Rita Angus Cottage (owned by the Thorndon Trust) has considerable historical significance and was home to Angus from 1955–1970. The house and its garden feature in her work from this period, a physical reminder of the influence that these things had upon her.
The Thorndon Trust, registered under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957, exists to protect and promote Thorndon’s history, primarily through ownership of the Rita Angus Cottage and associated sponsorship of an artist in residence; through ownership of Cooper’s Cottage and through related activities.
Enjoy has a talented community of volunteers, and we're always looking for new and dedicated people to become involved. Duties are varied and include gallery sitting, assistance with installation and deinstallation of exhibitions, and assistance with administrative tasks.
Volunteering with Enjoy is a great way to gain hands-on experience working in a contemporary art space, and to make connections in Pōneke's contemporary art community.
To apply, email a completed application form provided below to Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org.